Skip to content Skip to footer

What Kind of Proof of Income Can I Show for a Mortgage Loan?

Mortgage lenders require borrowers to prove their income when applying for a loan. There are a few different ways to do this, but the most common is to provide tax returns from the past two years.

Lenders use this information to verify your income and determine whether you can afford the loan. If you’re self-employed or have income from other sources, you may need to provide additional documentation.

Proving your income is an important part of the mortgage application process. By providing accurate information, you can help ensure that you’ll get the best loan terms possible.

What Are the Different Kinds of Proof of Income?

There are many different types of proof of income that you can use when applying for a mortgage. The most common are payslips, P60s, and tax returns.

Payslips show your earnings for a specific period, usually a week or a month. They’ll show your gross pay (the amount before tax and National Insurance are deducted) and your net pay (the amount you receive).

P60s are issued by your employer at the end of the tax year. They show your total earnings for the year and how much tax and National Insurance you’ve paid.

Tax returns are filed with HMRC and show your total income for the tax year. They’re used to calculate how much tax you owe (or how much you’re owed if you’ve paid too much tax).

There are other types of proof of income, such as bank statements and pension statements. These can be used to show your income, but they’re not as common as the three mentioned above.

What If I’m Self-Employed?

There are a few different types of proof of income that the self-employed can use when applying for a mortgage in the UK. The most common and accepted form is providing your most recent tax return. This will show your income for the previous tax year and will give the lender an idea of what you can expect to earn going forward.

Ltd company accounts can also be used to verify self employed income if you are director of a Ltd company.

At least 2 years accounts or tax returns are usually needed to verify self-employed income however 1 year can be used in some cases.

Do I Need to Show Proof of Commissions and Bonuses?

If you’re paid commissions or bonuses as part of your job, you’ll need to provide proof of this income when you apply for a mortgage in the UK. This is because lenders need to be sure that you can afford the repayments on your loan, and your commission or bonus income may fluctuate from month to month.


If you’re looking to apply for a mortgage in the UK, you’ll likely need proof of income to qualify. This could come from payslips, tax returns, or other financial documentation. Be sure to speak with a mortgage specialist to learn more about what specific documentation may be required in your situation.

For mortgage advisors in the UK, you can hire us at Everest Mortgage Services. Making major life decisions require a lot of financial changes and planning—our team of experts will help you get through it. Get in touch with us to learn more.